The Object of the Game
The main purpose of the Telephone Game is for the amusement of the players. However, there
are some additional benefits for those playing.
● helps clearly show how small misconceptions can end up making a huge difference.
● is fun for the players, generates laughs, and helps a group relax.
● can help develop active listening skills.
● serves as a springboard for discussing the importance of active listening.
● is used for classroom counseling lessons to help students understand the impact of gossip and
1. Players must sit in a circle or stand in a straight line. They need to be close
enough that whispering is possible, but not so close that players can hear each other
2. Begin the Game. The first person in the line or circle whispers a word or phrase into the ear
of the person sitting or standing to their right.
3. The Game Continues. Players whisper the phrase to their neighbors until it reaches the last
player in line.
4. The Conclusion. The last player says the word or phrase out loud so everyone can hear how
much it has changed from the first whisper at the beginning of the circle or line.
● The word or phrase can only be whispered once, so players must pay close attention.
● The word or phrase should never be a too familiar; you want to make sure it changes as it is
● Only one player – the first – should know what the word or phrase is. The facilitator of the
game may wish to have the original phrase or word written down.